B. Privacy and Security
• In order to respect the privacy of community members, technology users may not use
another person’s network ID or password.
• Accessing other peoples’ accounts, in any form, is not allowed.
C. Digital Etiquette
• Any online communication should be something you could say in person: this includes
emails, instant messages, digital images videos or web postings.
• Use networks responsibly; only use those networks which you have legal access to.
• Be aware that anything posted on the Internet is permanent.
• Derogatory, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate email exchanges, instant messages,
digital images or web postings are considered cyber-bullying and are prohibited.
• Any form of cyber-bullying will be dealt with swiftly and may carry severe consequences.
Frequently Asked Questions
We realize that the Responsable Use Policy (RUP) explains the expectations that ASB has
for all students to follow, with that we also have several questions that come from students
frequently. Here are some questions that may help to clarify your understanding of what you
can and cannot do while using your digital device at ASB.
Q. What can I use my laptop for in class?
A. When you are in class you should always be aware of what your teacher wants you to be
doing at any given time.
Q. What can I not do in class?
A. You may not use your laptop to stream videos, music or games. You may not email for
personal use, use chat programs, or social networking sites. You may not use your laptop
for anything that your teacher is unaware of.
Q. What can I do when I am on a break, at lunch, and before or after school?
A. With the permission of the teacher, you can use your laptop when you are in a supervised
area. This could be in the library, the cafeteria, or in a classroom with a teacher. You can
play games that are installed on your machine, listen to music quietly (already downloaded
on your laptop), email classmates or complete homework. Although you can use your
laptop before and after school, it is still important to give your brain some rest from
technology and have some social time with peers in or outside in the common
Q. What am I not allowed to do with my laptop at school? When I am in the library?
A. You cannot stream videos, music or play inappropriate online games. All content on your
laptop must be appropriate. Games that are excessively violent are not permitted.
Q. Can I install software on my machine?
A. You can install software on your machines, but only with parental permission. Torrents are
not allowed to be installed on your laptop.